Planning a living wall?
A successful living wall starts with great design. Whether you’re designing a new building, upgrading an existing one or working on a landscaping scheme living walls can add a stunning feature. Whether your client has requested a living wall, or you are thinking of proposing the concept as part of the design process, we hope to be of assistance throughout the process from first ideas to final installation and ongoing maintenance. Make your next project really stand out, naturally.
Inspiration, ideas and thought leadership
We would like to support your creative ambition with a tailored design package to demonstrate how living walls can take a project to the next level. Get ideas that inspire your clients to include living walls on their project. Make use of our 10 years of experience and creative expertise by getting in touch, or browse the following articles for an introduction.
Living Wall Design Considerations
When planning a living wall, making the right design choices can ultimately determine the long term success of the wall. There are many factors to take into account including:
- Is the installation interior or exterior? Interior living walls require a different range of plants to exterior living walls.
- Irrigation system, the ANS Living Wall system has its own irrigation system and is adaptable to the scale of the project.
- Suitable sub-structure and support. The saturated weight of our living wall system is 72kg per m2 and a suitable structure will need to be provided with the advice of a structural engineer. We can fix to steel frames, timber frames, blockwork and rain-screen façade systems.
- Lighting levels can be adjusted with additional lighting or shade tolerant plants can be included.
- For interior living walls, ventilation and ambient room temperature should be considered.
- In exterior applications the aspect of the wall is of great importance. South facing walls will get more light than north facing and therefore the planting will need to be adapted to suit.
Some of these factors are controllable and some may not be, but the over-arching factor is the pant choices and planting design. Get in touch for our recommended plant lists or for a bespoke consultation on planting palate.
Documentation, 3D CAD and SketchUp Downloads
Download our SketchUp and CAD drawings for our living wall module, substructure options and design details such as corner modules. Everything you need to add into your 3D modelling software to put a living wall into the design.
Living Wall SketchUp Models
Download our three most popular SketchUp modules. These include an empty ANS Living Wall Module™, plus one with interior plants and the other with planting commonly used in exterior planting. These models are fully customisable and the full range are available on the SketchUp 3D Warehouse.
ANS Living Wall Product Guide
This guide covers everything from the build up of the ANS Living Wall system to the advantages of various living wall systems, design considerations and plant choices.
ANS Living Wall CAD DWG Files
Included in this package is a range of DWG files providing CAD users with the ANS Living Wall™ details for use in drawings. Included within are various methods of fixing the system to substructures. For advice on use please get in touch.
ANS Living Wall Architects Specification
Architects can quickly and easily specify the ANS Living Wall System with this document. Full technical details of the entire system included.
BIM and NBS
Access all of our BIM (building information modelling) and NBS Specifications to make it quicker and easier to specify a living wall in today’s digital world.
People we’ve worked with
Foster + Partners
Allies and Morrison
Bond Bryan Architects
KSS Design Group
Barker & Stonehouse
Zoopla Property Group
University of Cambridge
The Body Shop
Sir Robert McAlpine
Contact us for:
Design & specification recommendations
Booking an educational and informative CPD presentation
Technical estimations & site visits
Tailored project support